- in Botox And Fillers, Dallas, Fort Worth, Keller, Lifestyle, Uptown Dallas, Wellbeing
- on September 18, 2020
What is Botox?
Botox is an injectable drug made from botulinum toxin type A. This toxin is produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum.
Although this is the same toxin that causes botulism — a life-threatening form of food poisoning — its effects vary according to the amount and type of exposure. For example, Botox is only injected in small, targeted doses.
When injected, Botox blocks signals from your nerves to your muscles. This prevents the targeted muscles from contracting, which can ease certain muscular conditions and improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Keep reading to learn more about the safety of Botox, common uses, side effects to look out for, and more.
Although botulinum toxin is life-threatening, small doses — such as those used in the application of Botox — are considered safe.
In fact, only 36 casesTrusted Source of adverse effects associated with cosmetic use were reported to the U. S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) between 1989 and 2003. Thirteen of these cases may have had more to do with an underlying condition than with the drug itself.
With that in mind, some researchers speculate that cosmetic applications may carry less risk than therapeutic Botox injections, as the doses are usually much smaller.
One 2005 studyTrusted Source found that adverse effects were more likely to be reported with therapeutic use. This may be related to the underlying condition, or it may be because higher doses are needed to treat the condition.
Still, the overall risk is minimal, and Botox is considered safe overall.
Botox is typically known for its ability to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. For example, Botox injections can relax the muscles that cause:
- crow’s feet, or wrinkles that appear at the outer corner of the eyes
- frown lines between the eyebrows
- forehead creases
It’s also used to treat underlying muscular conditions. This includes:
- lazy eye
- eye twitching
- chronic migraines
- neck spasms (cervical dystonia)
- overactive bladder
- excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis)
- certain neurological conditions, such as cerebral palsy
You would be hard-pressed to go even a couple of days without hearing about BOTOX from a friend or family member, seeing an ad for BOTOX on television, in a magazine, or on social media, or encountering someone who uses BOTOX (though you may not even know it!). The pervasiveness of BOTOX in our society is not just the result of good marketing, but it is more importantly a testament to the highly effective nature of the product and the overwhelmingly satisfactory results that patients can achieve through its use.
At Body+Beauty Lab, the experienced and qualified team of plastic surgeons, physicians, nurses, and medical estheticians lend their expertise and care to Philadelphia, PA men and women who seek the assistance of BOTOX treatments to address both cosmetic and even medical concerns.
Issues treated by BOTOX
Some of the most common – and also some of the lesser known – issues that can be treated with BOTOX in Philadelphia, PA at Body+Beauty Lab include:
- Dynamic lines and wrinkles: Wrinkles, folds, and lines that appear on the upper face with certain facial expressions – including Crow’s feet and brow lines – can be softened and minimized through BOTOX injections, which relax the underlying muscle and tissue, smoothing out the surface lines. In cases where patients have deeper folds and lines, the experts at Body+Beauty Lab can recommend an appropriate injectable filler to be used in conjunction with your BOTOX treatment for the most dramatic and appealing results.
- Smile lines: Lines and wrinkles on the lower portion of the face, usually around the mouth, can also be relaxed and softened with BOTOX injections.
- Excessive sweating: One of the most common medical complaints which can be addressed and corrected through Philadelphia, PA BOTOX injections is excessive sweating. By injecting BOTOX into areas of excessive sweating, such as the armpits, the nerves that are responsible for activating your sweat glands are blocked from signaling the glands to sweat.
- Migraines: Another non-cosmetic application for BOTOX injections is to give patients relief from debilitating migraines. BOTOX can accomplish this by entering the nerve endings and blocking them from releasing the chemicals that are responsible for transmitting the pain associated with a migraine. This is a preventative procedure for patients who suffer from recurrent migraines and not a treatment for pain during a current migraine.
In addition to these conditions, BOTOX has also been shown to be an effective treatment for facial spasms, uncontrollable blinking, and even an overactive bladder.
Advantages of BOTOX injections
Aside from the benefits listed above, BOTOX injections have a number of beneficial advantages for patients that make it one of the most popular cosmetic treatments requested at Body+Beauty Lab in Philadelphia, PA. These include:
- Lasting results: Though not permanent, Philadelphia BOTOX patients enjoy relatively long-lasting results between treatments, which are typically performed every 3 – 4 months or so. It is imperative that patients select a competent, knowledgeable, and experienced provider to perform their BOTOX injections in order to ensure the longest-lasting results possible. The expert BOTOX injectors at Body+Beauty Lab are highly qualified and certified in the most effective injection techniques.
- Safe and effective: As one of the most common cosmetic treatments performed in the U.S with over 5 million patients treated last year, as well as having been FDA approved since 2002, BOTOX is widely considered a safe and effective tool for minimizing facial lines and wrinkles. Again, it is crucial that patients only receive BOTOX injections from a qualified, certified, and experienced provider who is properly trained in the safe handling and injection of BOTOX.
Now that you know a little bit more about how BOTOX can improve your appearance and/or address your medical concerns, it is important to understand some of the basics about the treatment:
What is BOTOX?
BOTOX is a purified strain of type A botulinum toxin that acts as a muscle relaxer by temporarily freezing the mobility of the underlying tissue and muscle, helping to smooth lines and wrinkles. BOTOX also has many valuable medical applications.
What should I expect from BOTOX injections?
Following an initial consultation – sometimes at the same appointment – your experienced injector at Body+Beauty Lab in Philadelphia, PA will have you make a variety of facial expressions so that he or she can make a series of marks that will act as a guideline for the injections. Because the injections are relatively painless, no numbing agent is needed.
Depending on the area(s) being treated, BOTOX injections typically only take about 10-15 minutes with virtually no downtime, but it is recommended that strenuous activities and certain behaviors are restricted for at least 24 hours following injection. The caring team at Body+Beauty Lab will give you specific recommendations for your post-treatment routine. Patients may experience minimal redness, swelling, or sensitivity at the injection sites, but it is typically mild and resolves quickly.
In general, results can last up to 4 months, though most patients schedule regular quarterly appointments to ensure that they are always looking their best between treatments.
How do I get started?
The best way to begin your BOTOX treatment plan is to schedule a free consultation. Our team of providers are dedicated to providing the highest level of patient care and service and will take the time to thoroughly discuss your needs and goals, answer all of your questions, and recommend a course of action that is best suited to you.
Call our office at 817-345-0303 to schedule your consultation today, and find out more about how BOTOX can improve your appearance and boost your confidence.