- in Mens Health
- on March 12, 2020
Here are 8 facts about men that you may not have known.
- Worldwide, men have a life expectancy of 64.52 years, as compared to a life expectancy of 68.76 years for women
- The most common cause of death for men in the U.S. is heart disease (the same as for women), and the average age of a first heart attack for men is just 66 years.
- In the U.S., men have higher death rates for all of the 15 leading causes of death (with the exception of Alzheimer’s disease) and die more than five years younger than women.
- The brains of adult men are about 10% larger in total size than the brains of women. Because men generally have a larger stature and more muscle mass than women, their brains require more neurons to control the body.
- Male brains use almost seven times more gray matter for activity while female brains use nearly ten times more white matter
- Scientists have discovered that men’s and women’s brains actually function somewhat differently. When focused on a task, men tend to use only one side of their brain at a time, devoting all of their attention and concentration to the task at hand. Women, on the other hand, tend to use both sides of the brain at the same time, making them more adept at “multi-tasking.”
- The “Adam’s apple,” or laryngeal prominence in the neck, is a feature primarily unique to adult men and is a result of the growth of the larynx during puberty. The term is derived from the Biblical account of Adam eating the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden.
- The first Father’s Day celebration in the U.S. was held on June 19, 1910, in Spokane, Washington, and was conceived of by Sondra Dodd. After listening to a Mother’s Day sermon in 1909, Dodd wished to have a day of recognition for her father as well. Father’s Day became a nationally celebrated holiday in 1972 when the third Sunday in June was designated by public law as a day of recognition for fathers.
Now you know a little more about the differences between men and women. We must take care of ourselves differently. Be sure to take care of the men in your life, get them in for their yearly physical so they can enjoy the healthiest life possible.