Keeping on track with your healthy lifestyle can be challenging especially when the weather starts to get a little colder as fall rolls around. You will notice that you crave more hearty meals and more time on the couch. This can take a toll on your fitness regime, it also offers the opportunity to change things up by doing different outdoor exercises in more comfortable climate (not 100 degrees) and to indulge in healthy, hearty fall meals. There is no need to give up your fall comfort foods, as there are healthy choices you can make that will fulfill the cravings.
Here are 3 of our favorite fast, healthy Fall meals that will keep you feeling satisfied and keep your calorie count down.
Tender, spiced protein pumpkin pancakes that can be whipped up in the blender. Healthy, simple and perfect for chilly fall mornings.
- 1/3 cup (27g) oats
- 1/2 scoop (13g) protein powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup egg whites from a carton
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée*
- Optional: stevia, splash vanilla, pancake syrup, maple syrup, butter, fresh fruit
Preheat large skillet or griddle and spray with cooking spray.
Grind oats, protein powder, baking soda, baking powder, spices and stevia (if using) in the blender until it’s flour-like.
Add, to the blender, egg whites and pumpkin and blend for a few seconds.
Pour batter onto preheated griddle to make 4 pancakes; cook for about 5 minutes and until golden brown. Flip and continue to cook about 3 more minutes and until both sides are golden brown.
Serve immediately topped with your favorites and enjoy!
Prep time: 15 MINS
A hearty, 5-ingredient breakfast hash with sweet potato, brussels sprouts, and apple! A protein- and fiber-packed meal.
- 3 slices uncured turkey bacon or regular bacon(for Whole30 Compliant, I used Pederson’s brand)
- 1 small (108g) diced onion
- 1 sweet potato (208g) cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (339g) brussels sprouts, stems removed and quartered
- 1 apple (118g) diced
- Optional: eggs, egg whites or a combination of the two*
- salt + pepper to taste
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add bacon. Cook until desired doneness, then remove from pan to plate lined with a paper towel. When cooled, crumble bacon and set aside.
Reserve about 2 tablespoons bacon grease in a pan and add onion and sweet potato to the skillet and toss to coat. If using turkey bacon, you’ll need to spray skillet with cooking spray or add olive or coconut oil as needed.
Cook until sweet potato has softened, about 10 minutes, then stir in garlic, brussels sprouts and apple and cook for about 10-15 mins longer and until mixture is soft and caramelly. Stir crumbled bacon into the mixture.
In the meantime, poach, fry or scramble eggs, cooking until desired doneness. Serve immediately and enjoy!
**Nutritional information only includes the main ingredients for this bowl. It does not include egg, ghee or any other add-in.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Prepare dressing by vigorously whisking all ingredients
- 5 cups butternut squash about 1 medium squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes*
- 1 large pear cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 1/2 cups chopped fresh spinach or other favorite green
- 1 bag Success® Whole Grain Brown Rice 2 cups, prepared
- fresh parsley for garnish, if desired
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place butternut squash on a rimmed baking sheet, spray with cooking spray and sprinkle on a dash of salt. Roast for about 30 minutes, and until tender.
Meanwhile, prepare all other ingredients. Cook brown Success® Rice according to package instructions and in a large bowl, combine pear, cranberries, onion, and spinach.
Once squash and rice have cooked, transfer both to a large bowl with other ingredients and stir so that spinach wilts slightly from the heat of the squash and rice.
Pour dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine. Salad can be served warm, at room temperature, or chilled. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
If you need support in your weight loss journey or help to maintain your healthy, balanced lifestyle our providers are here to support you. To make an appointment at the clinic nearest you call 817-345-0303.
Recipes from: https://www.kimscravings.com/30-healthy-fall-recipes/